The Performing Arts Program
We believe that children should be encouraged to appreciate and nurture their God-given gifts and talents. We strive to provide a safe, respectful, and supportive environment as students learn to express themselves through the arts. Our desire is that students will develop a life-long appreciation of the arts.
Our students are given the opportunity to:
- develop specific skills required for each Performing Arts course
- develop an understanding of the language and structure of a specific genre
- expand their interests and talents within the Performing Arts
- perform in public
- develop self-discipline and pride in their accomplishments
- enhance their ability to work in a team
Early Years Musical Development
We are proud to have a strong Early Years music program at Linden Christian School and are committed to providing creative musical experiences for every child. Through the Orff process, the students enjoy singing, movement, instrumental playing and listening activities. All of our children play the barred instruments and non-pitched percussion from Kindergarten through Grade 4. Recorder, which is introduced in Grade 3 and continues until Grade 5, is an invaluable instrument that helps develop musical literacy and ensemble skills in preparation for playing a Band instrument in Grade 6.
Music is taught three times per school day cycle for a total of ninety minutes by a music specialist. Students in Grades 3 and 4 participate in both regular music classes and choir. The Grade 3 and 4 choirs focus on developing their vocal skills including breathing, diction, phrasing, dynamics and blend. These choirs perform at special chapels such as Thanksgiving, Remembrance day or Easter, the Christmas and Spring Concert and at the Winnipeg Music Festival. The choirs have performed well at the Winnipeg Music Festival receiving gold ratings and several trophies, including the Helen Derksen and Sir Hugh Roberton trophies.
Throughout the Early Years program we provide opportunities for the students to express themselves musically and develop their God-given musical abilities.
Linden Christian School celebrates a tradition of musical excellence and allows students to flourish in concert and jazz band opportunities. Our band programs are not exclusive and all Grade 6-8 students have band as a regular part of their timetable. All students in Grade 9-12 may take band as a full credit option. Linden Christian School also offers opportunities for students in Grade 7-8 who are interested in pursuing extra band performance in preparation for senior years’ band. Students may audition for Junior Wind Ensemble which rehearses before school twice each week. Linden Christian School’s Grade 9-12 bands participate in regular festivals where they consistently receive the highest accolades for both their performance and character.
Linden Christian School’s Performing Arts program has developed a reputation for excellence over the years. Our bands and choirs have received numerous awards at both local and international festivals. The ensembles consistently perform at a high standard and are regularly commended for their Christian character in all venues. Students in Linden Christian School’s performing ensembles are actively pursuing musical excellence as a means of worship, while being salt & light in the world.
Our Senior Years Concert and Jazz Bands are consistently invited to Nationals based on their performances at the Optimist Band and Jazz Festival. Both our Senior Years Concert Bands and Senior Years Jazz Bands have a tradition of being awarded perfect five star ratings.
Performing Arts Photo Gallery
Linden Christian School offers an exciting visual arts program with strong education in the classroom in Early Years, instruction in Middle Years as a class course, and as an elective choice in our Senior Years. Our spacious and bright art room enhances the creative experience and supports art instruction for students and staff alike. The addition of a kiln to our program has strengthened the education experience with a ceramics component.
The Visual Arts Program
Linden Christian School visual art students are given the opportunity to:
- develop the habits of a growing artist
- engage in purposeful progress through creative process
- explore a wide variety of art mediums, allowing for their God-given creativity to shine
- develop an understanding of the language surrounding art techniques, mediums, styles, and art history
- establish formal skills in drawing, painting, sculpture, graphic media and other art mediums
- cultivate pride in their accomplishments
- reflect on and construct meaning in response to their own and others’ visual art
- gain respect for artistic expression
Visual Arts Photo Gallery
The School of Fine Arts Program
The School of Fine Arts (SOFA) offers expert instruction by gifted, Christian educators. Our goal is to provide excellent and personalized education, allowing students to grow their unique gifts. Our teachers are experienced and caring Christian instructors who provide a safe and stimulating environment for their students. SOFA instruction is available to all Winnipeggers, not just current LCS students. SOFA’s mandate is to provide:
- Training in a variety of art forms reflecting high standards of artistic excellence
- A Christian perspective on the role and functional usage of the art form in the life of the student
- Opportunities for the student to use his or her skills in local ministry
The School of Fine Arts offers in person private music lessons September to June at Linden Christian School. We offer piano, piano/voice combo, voice, violin, viola, cello, guitar (bass, electric, acoustic, banjo, ukulele) and drum lessons.
Lessons at LCS missed due to illness which qualify for make ups may be taught remotely.
Once registered, your SOFA teacher will contact you with a schedule prior to the first lesson. If you would like to register for lessons, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and registration forms will be sent via email.
Click below to read detailed Biographies and Credentials for each SOFA Instructor and to download the private lesson registration request form:
- Students may prepare for Royal Conservatory or Conservatory Canada exams
- Students may participate in the Winnipeg Music Festival Competition
- Students are encouraged and motivated by the many performance and ministry opportunities we provide: retirement home visits, the annual Musicathon, LCS chapels, and recitals in December and June.
ART CLASS / Grades 5-8 / Instructor Lisa Mendis / $420.00 / Tuesdays / 24 weeks / 4:00 pm – 5:15 pm / Starts September 20, 2022
Fill out the forms above to register and email email@example.com with any questions.